Monday, November 23, 2009

Let's See How Far We've Come

I confess. I'm a Matchbox Twenty kinda guy. You know the type - not real macho, but someone who likes a neat little hook, some guitar and inspiring lyrics. Thus the reason for the blog this week.

This past weekend I found myself in Washington, D.C. with the family and some friends. We did the whole sight-seeing thing (on our own since I used to live there and am not intimidated by the traffic, the trains, etc.)

Somewhere between the Lincoln Memorial, The Capitol Building and the Vietnam War Memorial I couldn't help but begin singing the words to "How Far We've Come" by Rob Thomas and the boys. If you aren't familiar with the lyrics, the chorus is pretty simple:

"let's see how far we've come, let's see how far we've come.... " The verses basically talk about wondering if things will get better, blah blah blah.

You get the point.

But standing in the elbow of the Vietnam War Memorial (the 'V' portion) and looking at the Washington Monument, The Capitol and Honest Abe, I really need to ask: Have we come far at all?

The Wall is amazingly simple, elegant and breathtaking. Total silence comforts strangers walking along the worn path as they examine row after row of names - all of whom died fighting the war. Flowers are left near names, a report card from a grandchild rests below the section containing a grandparent who never made it home and countless unopened letters line the walkway. It's humbling.

Somewhere we got lost.

Today we're a nation going backwards with no direction. Worse, I am going to argue that we have no leadership able to find our direction. In short, we are divided and I don't see anyone capable of stepping up to the plate who can motivate, inspire and act in the best interest of the majority any longer. That's called leading.

So I have to answer Matchbox Twenty's question "let's see how far we've come" by the only response I know:

We need to look in the rearview mirror often for guidance, even if we are attempting to lead forward. Otherwise, lessons will be forgotten and mean nothing. We haven't come far at all. In fact, we've drifted slowly backwards into somewhere I don't want to be now...or ever, for that matter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sadly you views are so true. Apathy abounds in almost all areas. I want to point fingers, but then I realize I need to look at myself.

Anonymous said...

You're right Mel. Didn't mean to be a downer but the reality is how far have we come? Not so much (to quote Borat!)

Anonymous said...

Flattered to be mentioned in your blog.
As bad or misdirected as it seems, my pride of country is reignited amongst the monuments.
Signed Sexy Kitten

Anonymous said...

Sexy Kitten,

MEOW! :)

Like you, I am incredibly inspired by what our leaders of the past have done and I hope one day to be in the presence of one of those types of leaders.

WE LOVED SEEING YOU AND BILL!!!!! Too much fun and too much time had gone by. You're a wonderful friend to us and we're blessed to have you in our lives.