Friday, July 10, 2009

Let's try this again

There ain't no cure for the summertime blues - that much is sure.

And the worldwide economy seems to support this theory, plodding along painfully slow like a Pittsburgh Pirate's baseball season.

The question I get most from students and friends is "when will it end?" Sadly, I don't know and I'm not sure anyone knows. Experts are currently feuding over another stimulus package, and I promised my wife and kids that I wouldn't get angry this summer so I won't touch that hot potato. Instead, I want to focus on the good things I see happening, despite unemployment at 9.5% (closer to 13% when you put part-time employment into the mix and assume they'd prefer to be full-time) and a California government writing I.O.U's while a Pennsylvania government can't do the one job they are elected to do - pass a budget.

I want to count the good things today, and there are many.

First and foremost is that there is finally productive conversations taking place at very high levels, unlike the previous six months of political maneuvering. I think that some (not all) of the politicians recognize that times are tough.

Gas prices are about $1.40 less this year than last year and we have already passed the traditional 'high mark' of July 4th. This bodes well to improve consumer sentiment in the coming months.

The stock market is flat, which beats the heck out of investments falling faster than a kid doing a cannonball at the local pool. Folks have finally seen the bleeding on their 401k's, IRA's and college savings accounts stop. In fact, they most likely saw the balances improve last quarter and they should be up about 10% year to date.

The herd is finally getting thinner as companies have begun to realize the impact of their cost cutting measures and the consumer is benefiting from the slimmer margins. I'm not suggesting we're spending more, but I am suggesting that we're at least spending the same and the feeling of doom and gloom is gone. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Housing is near the bottom in most major markets, but not all. Here in Western PA, while the market is anything but robust, it is steady and homes are selling.

I am not about to call a bottom on a market, or a top for that matter. But I can observe, and right now, it seems to me that the worst is well behind us. And while we might not enjoy 6-8% growth for many years to come, I am going to suggest that a moderate 2-4% growth rate is not always a bad thing and beats the alternative of negative growth.

We're living within our means and that's a good thing. Banks are making loans to people who deserve them and those who pay their bills on time. How can that be bad?

Oh, and the best thing about July is that I go on vacation at the end of the month. I'm refreshed and ready to write, so please look for weekly updates. I also joined the Examiner.com staff as a freelance writer and will be tackling local business issues on a fairly regular basis. Add this site to your favorites please and leave some comments!

1 comment:

Kevin Blank said...

Good article. We need some good news nowadays.